Elsie Mary McCarthy
Surrounded by devoted family in Frederciton Hospice House, our beautiful mother, Elsie, left us, on September 4, 2018. Her husband, and card and life partner, Merlin, has been waiting for her since June 2011.
She was the first-born of six children to Edith (Rideout) and Lawrence Gillespie in Grand Falls, NB. Her sister, Ruth, predeceased her. Her siblings Mary, Fred, Ferne, and Guy and his wife Anne will miss her, as will in-laws, Basil and Dee.
Mama went to school ‘on the portage’ until grade 8 when she moved to Fredericton to continue her education. She finished high school in Woodstock before attending nursing school in Edmundston. After a short career as a nurse, Merlin McCarthy entered her life and captured the heart of the pretty red-haired girl. Rumour has it that at the wedding the priest said "let loose and reproduce" so they did.
Mama believed in service to others. She was a devoted CWL member for 40 years. Through her loving and gracious example, Elsie passed on life’s most important lessons to her 8 children, 19 grandchildren and approximately 18 great grandchildren (and counting):
- Respect yourself and others.
- Be polite and hospitable to all.
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
- Family is everything.
- There is no substitute for a good sense of humour.
- You can never have too much food, be prepared for ‘roll-ins’ at meal time.
- Storm days are perfect for all-day card games and pots of chicken stew.
- Sunday is for Church followed by a picnic or family brunch.
- Faith brings joy and comfort through hard times.
- Dean Martin and Engelbert Humperdink are cool.
- Babies are life’s greatest joy.
- Good skin cream is a worthwhile investment.
- It is important for a woman to have a good education.
- A family that prays together, stays together.
- Celebrate birthdays and other milestones.
- Keep the whole family informed of events and get-togethers.
We will do our best to carry on Mom’s legacy of love and commitment.
‘We’ are her children: Janice (Don), Linda (Fred), Cheryl (John), Dinah (Mike), Pat (Lucie), Tim (Gwen), Keith (Mary) and Paul (Terri).
Mom was proud of her family. Her grandchildren and great grandchildren brought her immeasurable joy and were a great source of pride.
Visitation will be held from Bishop’s Funeral Home, 540 Woodstock Road, Fredericton on Thursday September 6th, 2018 from 6-9 PM and Friday September 7th from 10-11:30 AM. A Mass of Christian Burial will be from Holy Family Catholic Church, Hanwell on Friday September 7th at 12 noon with Father Monte Peters officiating. Interment will be at St. Mary the Virgin Cemetery, Hanwell.
In lieu of flowers, donations to the wonderful Hospice House Fredericton or the Fredericton Food Bank would be greatly appreciated.
Online condolences and expressions of sympathy may be placed at www.bishopsfuneralhome.com